Shrimp Risotto Serves 6
Dig into this classic Italian rice dish. From "The Gluten-Free Hassle-Free Cookbook" by Marlisa Brown, scheduled for release March 2015.
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
¼ tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ cup chopped onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
½ cup dry white wine (optional)
3 cups (24oz) gluten-free low sodium chicken broth
1 cup green peas
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tsp grated lemon zest
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the shrimp and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until the shrimp are just opaque in the center, about 3 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a bowl to cool.
- Return the pan to the heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onion and garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir until coated about 1 minute. Add the wine and cook until the wine is absorbed.
- Add a ½ cup of the broth to the rice stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed. When the rice is almost dry, add another ½ cup broth and repeat the process. Continue adding broth until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in the peas, parmesan cheese, parsley, basil and lemon zest and reserved shrimp. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information: 238 calories, 15.3 grams protein, 29.1 grams carbohydrates, 6.6 grams fat, 69.6 milligrams cholesterol, 656.9 milligrams sodium, 1.8 grams fiber, 77 milligrams calcium, <1 milligram iron
Tip: Risotto turns glutinous when held too long so you should serve it right away.
**Allergy Tip: GF, EF, SF, NF, PF, FF. Double check the chicken broth for soy. To make milk free
use a milk free cheese substitute for the parmesan cheese.
FODMAPs: To make FODMAP friendly omit onion and replace with chopped green onions.
Omit the garlic and use garlic infused oil.