Light, creamy, refreshing, and delicious.
12-14 oz can evaporated milk
2 lemons juiced
1 lemon zested (can use zest of one of the lemons above)
1 (3 oz) pkg Lemon Jell-0
1 cup boiling water
¾ cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
¾ cup ground hazelnuts
2 tsp olive oil
Thin lemon wedges for garnish optional, almond slivers work well as a garnish also.
1. Place evaporated milk in freezer for about 3 hours.
2. Mix lemon juice, lemon zest, Jell-0, boiling water and ¾ cup sugar together, stir until sugar and Jell-0 are dissolved, place either in refrigerator for 1 ½ hours or freezer 45 minutes until thickened but not completely set.
3. When evaporated milk is thick like heavy cream whip until creamy peaks form.
4. Take Jell-0 mixture and whisk with a wire whisk for about 3-4 minutes until creamy and light yellow in color.
5. Slowly fold lemon mixture into the creamy evaporated milk.
6. Coat a 13 x 9” casserole dish with olive oil and sprinkle ½ cup hazelnuts on the bottom of the casserole dish, top with 1 ½ Tbsp sugar.
7. Pour lemon cream evenly over the top and spread out with a spatula until smooth.
8. Sprinkle the outside border of lemon cream and middle with remaining ground hazelnuts and sugar. Also garnish with lemon and almond slices if so desired.
Tip: If you are diabetic and need to reduce the sugar, use sugar-free Jell-0 and Splenda blend in place of the sugar. If you are allergic to tree nuts, use ground gluten-free cereal or graham cracker crumbs in place of the hazelnuts. Gluten-free cooking spray can also be used in place of the olive oil.
Nutritional Information: (SERVES 12) 164 calories, 4.6 gm protein, 24 gm carbohydrate, 6.8 gm fat, 9.3 mg cholesterol, 76 mg sodium, 112.4 mg calcium, < 1 mg iron, 1.6 gm fiber
** Allergy Information: Gluten-free, Egg-Free, Soy-Free, Peanut-Free.
FODMAPs: FODMAP friendly.