From Marlisa Brown's "Gluten-Free, Hassle-Free Cookbook" to be released Feb 2015
Light, airy and delicious – fill with whipped cream, pastry cream or ice cream.
1 cup (8 oz) water
½ cup unsalted butter
¾ cup white rice flour
¼ cup tapioca flour
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp xanthan gum
¼ tsp gluten-free baking powder
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine the water and butter in a medium-sized saucepan, heat until butter is melted, and bring to a boil.
- Sift together rice flour, tapioca flour, salt, gum and baking powder. Add to butter mixture and stir constantly until mixture rolls into a ball and leaves the side of the pan. This should take less than a minute. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until light golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.
- To make cream filling: pour the cream and vanilla into a mixing bowl and begin to whip on high speed. Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of sugar gradually as the cream whips. Whip until stiff, but be careful not to over whip.
- Cut tops off cream puffs. Fill bottom with cream, then replace tops. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar and serve.
Nutrition information: 141 calories, 2.1 grams protein, 8 grams carbohydrates, 11.2 grams fat, 73 milligrams cholesterol, 87 milligrams sodium, <1 gram fiber, 26.8 milligrams calcium, <1 gram fiber
Tip: Flavor the whipped cream with any pure extract such as lemon, almond or orange. Sprinkle in some cocoa powder with the sugar to make chocolate whipped cream. For profiteroles fill cream puff shells with gluten-free ice cream and drizzle with gluten-free chocolate sauce. Pudding also works well as a terrific filling.
**Allergy Tip: GF, SF, NF, PF, FF, SFF, V. To make milk free use margarine in place of the butter, and replace heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract with a milk free whip cream, to make egg free use an eggless egg substitute, to make vegan use margarine in the place of the butter, use milk and egg free whipped filling in place of the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract, use an eggless egg substitute in place of the eggs.