Delicious savory gluten-free dip that all will love.
1 ½ cups olive oil
3 large eggplants cut into 1” cubes
1 large onion coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 cup thinly sliced celery hearts
2 tablespoons chopped celery leaves
1 can anchovy filets chopped (use the oil)
¾ cup pitted and chopped Sicilian green olives
½ cup capers drained and rinsed
1 (28) oz can plum tomatoes hand crushed
½ cup red wine vinegar
1 ½ Tbsp sugar
Fresh basil leaves chopped to taste (can substitute dried)
Hot pepper flakes to taste
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground pepper (or to taste)
- In 12” skillet brown the eggplant on all sides in olive oil in batches (reserve ¼ cup olive oil). Add extra oil as needed. Drain eggplant on paper towels, set aside.
- Heat another ¼ to ½ cup olive oil on med-high heat and sauté the onion, garlic, celery, and celery leaves for 5 minutes stirring often. Stir in the anchovy filets (these will melt).
- Add remaining ingredients and the drained eggplant. Combine gently but thoroughly and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste for seasonings.
- Transfer to a large bowl and let cool. Serve at room temperature or cold.
- Serve with gluten-free crackers and veggie sticks.
Tip: I use Red Pack or Tuttorosso tomatoes. Can substitute red wine vinegar with balsamic if you wish. If you are on a low fat diet, you can substitute low sodium broth in place of some of the oil.
Nutritional Information: 147 calories, 1.4 gm protein, 5.4 gm carbohydrate, 13.9 gm fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 254 mg sodium, 1.7 gm fiber, 23 mg calcium, 1 mg iron.
**Allergy Tip: Gluten-Free, Milk-Free, Egg-Free, Soy-Free, Nut-Free, Peanut-Free, Shellfish-Free.
To make Fish-Free, Vegetarian and Vegan omit the anchovies.
FODMAPs: To make FODMAP friendly omit garlic, onions and celery. Use garlic infused oil in place of the olive oil, use green onions in place of scallions, omit the celery.