Oven Baked “Fried” Chicken Serves 6
from "The Gluten-Free Hassle-Free Cookbook" by Marlisa Brown
Crispy and delicious, gluten-free, without the fat and mess of frying!
3 pound cut-up whole chicken, skin removed
1 cup (8oz) buttermilk
1 tsp red (cayenne) pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2/3 cup white rice flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour
½ tsp black pepper
2 tsp paprika
½ tsp salt
- Place chicken in a large ziploc bag with buttermilk and red pepper. Place in refrigerator and marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place butter and olive oil in a 9x13 inch pan and place in oven until butter has melted. Swirl mixture around pan to make sure it is evenly coated.
- Place rice flour, tapioca flour, pepper, paprika and salt in a shallow dish.
- Shake excess buttermilk off each piece of chicken and dip in flour mixture until completely coated. Place in prepared pan.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Turn each piece over and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until cooked through.
Nutritional information: 282 calories, 26 grams protein, 15.6 grams carbohydrates, 12.3 grams fat, 90 milligrams cholesterol, 127 milligrams sodium, <1 gram fiber, 42.6 milligrams calcium, 1.3 milligrams iron
Tip: If you are watching your salt intake, use your favorite Mrs. Dash salt free seasoning in place of the salt.
**Allergy Tip: GF, EF, NF, PF, FF, SFF, .
FODMAPs: To make FODMAP friendly, replace buttermilk with rice or coconut milk.