Gluten Free Pizza Serves 8
Crisp oven baked crust takes your to pizza heaven.
From Gluten-Free Hassle Free Cookbook, By Marlisa Brown MS, RD, CDE, CDN, due to be released March 2015
1 packet instant dry yeast
2 ½ tsp sugar
2/3 cup warm milk
1/3 cup corn meal
1/3 cup tapioca or potato starch
1/2 cup gluten-free flour blend
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp Italian seasoning
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp rice flour for dusting
1 ½ cups marinara sauce
1 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
1 tsp Italian seasoning
½ tsp minced dried onion
¼ tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp corn meal
2 Tbsp toasted shelled sunflower seeds (optional)
- Mix together yeast, sugar and warm milk (set aside 5-10 minutes until bubbling).
- Combine corn meal, starch, gluten-free flour blend, baking powder, xanthan gum, sea salt, onion powder and Italian seasoning.
- Mix together dry ingredients with yeast mixture add cider vinegar and 1 Tbsp olive oil and work together into a dough ball (let rest 10-15 minutes).
- Roll dough into rice flour to coat if too wet.
- Use remaining olive oil to coat 12” pizza pan. Sprinkle crust base on pizza pan (corn meal and sunflower seeds.
- Shape dough onto pizza pan.
- Let dough rest and rise about ½ hour.
- Par bake in a 425 degree F oven for about 10 -12 minutes.
- Top pizza with desired toppings (marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, minced dried onion and garlic powder) and bake for additional 15-20 minutes until set through, cheese bubbling and crust golden.
- If desired brush crust edges with olive oil prior to serving.
Nutritional information: 251 calories, 7.4 grams protein, 34 grams carbohydrates, 10 grams fat, 13 milligrams cholesterol, 718 milligrams sodium, 2 grams fiber, 192 milligrams calcium, < 1 milligram iron
Tip: Sunflower seeds give a nutty flavorful finish to this pie. Crust can be pre made and par baked and refrigerated overnight until ready to top and bake. Also dough can be premade and frozen until ready to use.
** Allergy Information: GF, EF, SF, NF, PF, SFF, FF, V. Make sure you double check the flour blend for soy and nuts. To make milk free and vegan use any milk-free milk substitute, and a milk free cheese substitute in place of the milk.
FODMAPs: To make FODMAP friendly use lactose free milk and omit the dried minced onions, onion powder and garlic powder. Add 2 chopped green onions to the topping and drizzle 2 tsp garlic infused oil on top of the crust when par baking.