Gluten-Free Ham with Pineapple Glaze Serves 16
Great for an Easter centerpiece.
From “The Gluten-Free Hassle-Free Cookbook” by Marlisa Brown MS, RD, CDE, CDN
released March 2015, Demos Health
1 (12 lb) shank bone-in ham
½ cup whole cloves
20 oz can pineapple rings in their own juice
¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
20 oz of ginger ale
1 (4oz) jar gluten-free maraschino cherries, drained
2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place ham in a roasting pan. Score the rind of the ham with a paring knife into a diamond pattern. Be sure to cut through the skin and fat. Press one clove into the center of each diamond.
- Drain the juice of the pineapple rings into a bowl and stir in the brown sugar and soda. Pour this mixture over the ham to coat.
- Arrange the pineapple rings on the outside of the ham securing each one with a wooden plain toothpick. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple ring securing each with an additional wooden plain toothpick.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for about 4 hrs. Baste frequently so the cut side of the ham does not get dry.
- If ham starts to brown too much about three-fourths of the way done, cover the ham with foil and lower the temperature to 300 degrees F.
- The ham is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Let ham rest, remove to a cutting board and pour off the gravy into a small saucepan. Thicken the gravy with 2Tbsp corn starch dissolved in ¼ cup cold water. Whisk cornstarch into the gravy over a low heat and stir it until it thickens.
Nutritional Information:282 calories, 12 grams protein, 20.6 grams carbohydrates, 17 grams fat, 46.7 milligrams cholesterol, 801 milligrams sodium, <1 gram fiber, 20.6 milligrams calcium <1 milligram iron
Tip: Some use cola instead of the gingerale in this recipe.
**Allergy Tip: GF, MF, EF, SF, NF, PF, FF, SFF.