By Marlisa Brown MS, RD, CDE, CDN
This allergy friendly vegan chocolate cake can fit for many allergies. If you are allergic to tree nuts substitute gluten-free blend flour for the almond meal, and rice milk for the almond milk. YUM. Serves 12
½ cup gluten-free flour blend
1 cup almond meal
2 Tbsp ground flax
1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
½ cup coco powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xantham gum
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ cup coconut or olive oil
1 ¼ cup almond milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp vinegar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a round baking pan with a little oil, cut a circle out of parchment paper and press on the bottom of the pan, do not oil the parchment paper.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together with a fork until well combined.
- In a bowl whip together all wet ingredients, slowly incorporating the dry ingredients whipping after each addition.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for about 45-55 minutes, until toothpick comes out mostly clean and cake is pulling away from sides of the pan.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool about 10 minutes, flip cake onto a dish pulling off parchment paper and flip back and leave platted to completely cool. Mean while prepare the chocolate ganache directions follow.
This can be used as a great dipper for fruits and gluten-free pretzels and potato chips as well.
1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips (soy-free and dairy-free such as available from “Enjoy Life Foods”
1 ¼ cups almond milk
4 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
- Place chocolate chips in a glass bowl and microwave for about a minute, and stir to make sure completely melted.
- In a small pot slightly heat milk, with sugar and salt, pour in melted chocolate remove from heat and whip until incorporated together.
- Whip in vanilla and oil, and let sit until room temperature.
- Place ganache in refrigerator until it thickens enough so it doesn’t run when you pour a tsp of it onto a place.
- Pour ganache over cake and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Garnish with berries or sliced almonds.
Tip: As mentioned previously if you are allergic to tree nuts, substitute gluten-free flour blend for almond meal, and use rice milk in place of almond milk.
Nutritional Information for cake with ganache per serving: 346 calories, 5.6 gm protein, 50.5 gm carbohydrates, 15.9 gm fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 358 mg sodium, 2.4 gm fiber, 136 mg calcium, 2.4 mg iron
** Allergy Tip: This recipe is Gluten-free, milk-free, egg-free, soy-free, peanut-free, fish and shellfish-free, vegetarian, and vegan.
FODMAP: This recipe is low FODMAP unless you are sensitive to chocolate.