Easter Bread Serves 6
Delicious Easter bread is light, sweet and perfect for the holidays, especially since it is gluten-free.
From Marlisa Brown MS, RD, CDE, CDN author of "The Gluten-Free, Hassle-Free Cookbook"
3/8 cup skim milk (room temperature)
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp salted butter
1 envelope yeast
8 eggs (room temperature)
1 tsp xanthan gum
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ cups gluten-free flour blend
½ cup tapioca starch
Easter egg coloring
- Color 6 eggs if desired (otherwise Ok to leave plain).
- Warm ¼ cup milk with 1 Tbsp sugar and 2 Tbsp butter. Stir until butter melts, set aside until room temperature.
- Sprinkle yeast into milk mixture and give it a stir, set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together xanthan gum, salt, baking soda, flour, and tapioca starch.
- When yeast is bubbling, add remaining milk with one egg and mix together.
- Slowly incorporate in the flour mixture until well combined, dough should be moist but dry enough to handle. If too wet add a little extra gluten-free flour blend.
- Place dough in a clean bowl and cover with a towel, leave in a warm place for 1 ½ hours.
- Shape dough into 6 equal sized balls, and place on a baking sheet, let rest 10 minutes. Push one egg into each dough ball (be careful not to break the eggs), cover the dough and set in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat remaining egg and brush on the sides of the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden, and just cooked through.
Tip: These rolls are great without the addition of the egg. Note if baked with an egg you need to keep rolls refrigerated and wrapped until ready to serve. Warm a few minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information: 391 calories, 10.8 gm protein, 62 gm carbohydrate, 10 gm fat, 228 mg cholesterol, 517 mg sodium, 50 mg calcium, 1 mg iron, < 1 gm fiber
Allergy Information: This recipe is gluten-free, soy-free, peanut and nut-free, vegetarian. To make milk free use rice, soy or almond milk in place of the skim milk.
FODMAP: To make low FODMAP substitute rice or lactose free milk for the