Crab Cakes Serves 6
These crab cakes are so crispy and delicious everyone will want one. from "The Gluten-Free, Hassle-Free Cookbook" by Marlisa Brown
½ cup crushed gluten-free potato chips
12 oz real crabmeat
1 Tbsp dried minced onion
2 Tbsp gluten-free low-fat Bleu cheese salad dressing or mayonnaise
1½ tsp yellow mustard
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp dried paprika
Dash Old Bay seasoning
1/3 cup potato or tapioca starch
¼ cup corn oil
- Combine all ingredients except tapioca starch and corn oil until well combined.
- Form crab cakes into 6 patties or 12 mini crab cakes. (if too wet add a little more crushed potato chips).
- Coat each crab cake with tapioca or potato starch, pressing it to coat both sides.
- Heat corn oil in large skillet until hot, lower heat to medium.
- Fry crab cakes in corn oil until golden brown on both sides.
Nutritional Information: 207.8 calories, 9.9 grams protein, 10.9 grams carbohydrates, 14.1 grams fat, 81.8 milligrams cholesterol, 498 milligrams sodium, <1 gram fiber, 29.3 milligrams calcium, <1 milligram iron
Tip: Do not substitute imitation crab meat it can contain gluten, and note that it is from a fin fish not a shellfish. Serve with gluten-free tarter or cocktail sauce or herb mayo, or mango salsa, with shredded lettuce and cabbage, with sliced tomato, sliced onion, lemon wedges and corn. Great rolled into warmed corn tortillas.
Quick and Easy
** Allergy Tip: GF, NF, PF, FF. To make egg free use an egg free egg substitute and use an eggless mayonnaise mixed with gluten-free blue cheese crumbles. To make milk-free omit blue cheese dressing. To make soy-free use a soy-free potato chip and mayonnaise.
FODMAPs: To make FODMAP friendly, use chopped green onion in place of dried minced onion, and use mayonnaise and gluten-free blue cheese crumbles in place of the salad dressing.