Carol Fensters flourless chocolate cake from her 1000 gluten-free recipes really hits home.
Flourless Chocolate Cake
Printed with permission from 1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes by Carol Fenster (Wiley, 2008)
Yield: 1 cake
- 2 cups whole almonds (measure before grinding)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 to 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup canola oil (or melted butter)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder – Dutch process
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease an 8-inch nonstick (gray, not black) springform pan. Line the bottom with wax paper or parchment paper and grease again; set aside.
- Grind nuts with brown sugar in a food processor to a fine, mealy texture.
- Add the eggs, oil, cocoa, vanilla extract, and almond extract and process 30 to 40 seconds. Scrape down the side of bowl and process 30 more seconds.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. (The cake rises as it bakes, then falls slightly as it cools.) Let cool 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Cut around the edge to loosen the cake from pan edges. Release the pan side; remove the paper liner. Serves 10 (small slices) Garnish with your favorites such as whipped cream, powdered sugar, chocolate syrup, ice cream, or caramel sauce.