Creamy Seafood Bisque Serves 8
Warm up as the weather changes with this delicious gluten-free bisque. from The Gluten Free Hassle Free Cookbook by Marlisa Brown to be released March 2015
3 Tbsp olive oil
½ cup chopped green onion
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped carrots
3 Tbsp tapioca flour
4 cups (32 oz) gluten-free unsalted seafood or chicken broth
3 medium white potatoes cut into ½ inch cubes
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 cup half and half
6 ounces lump crab meat
10 ounces cooked small shrimp
½ cup roasted red peppers, chopped
2 Tbsp sherry
1 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrots. Saute for 5 minutes until softened.
- Whisk in tapioca flour until well combined. Whisk in broth.
- Add potatoes. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Puree soup with immersion blender. If you use a regular blender, puree carefully, a small amount at a time.
- Slowly stir in half and half. Add crab, shrimp, red peppers and sherry. Bring to a simmer. Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot.
Nutrition information: 198 calories, 15.3 grams protein, 9.9 grams carbohydrates, 10.3 grams fat, 105 milligrams cholesterol, 675 milligrams sodium, 1.2 grams fiber, 88 milligrams calcium, <1 milligram iron
Tip: Add any type of seafood you like such as cod or lobster.
**Allergy Tip: GF, EF, SF, NF, PF,. To keep soy-free double check the chicken broth for soy.
FODMAPs: To make FODMAP friendly, omit the celery, use only the green part of onion and replace half and half with unsweetened coconut milk.