Cheesy Polenta Toasts with Roasted Mushrooms and Spinach Serves 8
The Perfect New Years Eve Appetizer, from "The Gluten-Free Hassle-Free, Cookbook" By Marlisa Brown scheduled for release March 2015
3 cups (24 oz) water
½ tsp sea salt
1 cup dry polenta (corn grits, such as Bobs red mills)
4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
10 oz baby portabella mushrooms, stems removed cut in half
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 cloves (1 Tbsp) minced garlic
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
¼ cup shredded Asiago cheese
1(6 oz) bag baby spinach leaves
1 tsp garlic powder
- Prepare polenta: Bring 3 cups water and salt to boil in medium saucepan. Gradually add polenta, stirring constantly with whisk. Reduce heat to low and cook 15 to 20 minutes stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat. Stir in 1 Tbsp olive oil. Spoon polenta into a 9x9 inch square baking pan and chill for 2 hours or until firm.
- Roast mushrooms: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place mushrooms in a medium bowl and drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss together and place on baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in large non-stick skillet. Add spinach and cook 1-2 minutes until spinach is slightly wilted. Sprinkle with garlic powder. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Invert polenta onto cutting board. Cut into 8 squares. Cut each square in ½ diagonally to form triangle. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in large non-stick skillet. Add polenta to pan and cook 5 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Sprinkle with Asiago cheese. Cover pan to let cheese melt.
- Serve polenta triangles with mushrooms and spinach.
Nutritional information: 180.8 calories, 5.1 grams protein, 16.8 grams carbohydrates, 10.2 grams fat, 8.1 milligrams cholesterol, 324.8 milligrams sodium, 2 grams fiber, 99.2 milligrams calcium, <1 milligram iron
Tip: Use instant polenta to simplify this recipe and reduce preparation time.
**Allergy Tip: GF, EF, SF, NF, PF, FF, SFF, V. To make milk free and vegan use milk free cheese
substitute in the place of the Asiago and parmesan cheese.
FODMAPs: Use eggplant in place of the mushrooms, omit garlic and garlic powder and use
garlic infused oil in place of 2 Tbsp of the olive oil.